Friday, December 18, 2020

10 Days of Christmas #8: Activities

 


   Hello everybody, and welcome to the Ten Days of Christmas blog party! I'm very excited to be participating in this. This blog event will be posted every two days. Specifically, December 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 20th, and 22nd. On each day but the last one, the theme will be associated with a certain letter of "Christmas." At the end of the event (the 22nd), the winner of the giveaway will be announced.

With that brief overview out of the way, let's get started!

Today's letter from C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S is "A" for



   Some of these activities, I've already covered in the other posts, so I'll just skim over them. A few of my favorite Christmas activities include:


-Cookie decorating

   We make multiple different kinds of cookies (see my last post about it), and it's so fun to roll our "snowballs" around in the powered sugar. Messy, but oh so fun! And those spritz . . . I'm not sure why, but I think colored sugar sprinkles are so cute!


-Christmas decorating

   I touched on this one, too (see here). It is so fun, though I will admit that until this holiday season, I hadn't been too involved in decorating. Well! I've amended that, and we now have beautiful garlands across the top of our wooden cupboards, a jingle-bell-covered ribbon adorning our bedroom doorway, lights glimmering from the short tree in front of our house, and "snowball" lights strung across our front window.


-Singing songs

   Whether it be classic carols like "O Holy Night" or more contemporary songs like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," I enjoy belting out the songs in my soprano voice (and sounding good, I hope!). The songs just come to my head randomly, and I'll find myself leaving off "Edelweiss" (from Sound of Music) and spiraling into "O Little Town of Bethlehem." Now tell me: how in the world did I get from point A to point C in my singing, and why do those two totally different songs somehow coordinate?? 

   Another thing. It is so fun to hear my little siblings sing one of those songs and end up with words so foreign to the actual lyrics that I wonder whether they notice that what they're singing has nothing to do with the song's original topic. Example? My little sister was walking by me the other day and singing out in her sweet, confident tones: "We three kings of glory and tar . . ."


-Present-wrapping

   Wrapping the presents is sometimes almost as fun as giving the gift. Some years ago, I had to wrap a 4-foot-something-tall box that held a large gift for someone, and their astonished reaction was so wonderful. Christmas wrapping is an art and it's one I am striving to become accomplished in if I can. 


-Present-giving

   Yes, this absolutely counts as an activity! And it's so fun to see people's reactions over what you've given them. Especially those really little kids who are ready to scream for joy when they get a pack of gum. ;D


-Scheming and having to sneak around behind people's backs while you're stuffing their gift inside your jacket so they won't see it

   This is a very active thing to do. You have to be vigilant, always on the alert to make sure that one person is not looking over your shoulder at the paper you are writing their gift on. And the smuggling of the presents into the other room so you can wrap them . . . . ! A risky business, indeed.


   And I could give so many examples more, but I'm afraid this post would exceed its word limit! 


   Visit Little Blossoms for JesusCulinary Scribbles, and Rebekah's Reading Room to see the coordinating posts from the other participants, and don't forget to enter the giveaway!


4 comments:

  1. Ah, fun times. :)
    And hey, my brain switches from one song to another like yours does. And I have been known to come up with my own lyrics while singing. ;) But your little sister's version was pretty cute! I'm guessing she thinks those are the right words. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I love to sing out loud, but I don't always sing in a way that totally makes sense.

      Well, I corrected her words, so she should know which ones are right now. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this post, Martha!! Can so relate about the siblings singing hymns, lol. my siblings were singing "Joy to the Lord, the world has come!" very confidently the other day. I'm trying to teach them "Angels we Have Heard on High" in French, and when we sang the chorus (Gloria, etc) one asked why we were singing in English... and why were we saying gloria in 'excepcis' Deo? Now I find myself singing that by mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that is too cute! When I first looked at your comment and saw the "Joy to the Lord, the world has come," I automatically thought: "But that's correct. Why's it so funny?" And THEN I sang it out loud. :D

      Delete

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.