Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Favorite Authors & Books #4 / Classics Pt. 1

    I think one of the best types of books are the ones dubbed "kid's book" yet are still entertaining enough to hold the attention of a bit older reader, like myself. These books, many of whom have found a spot in history's hall of classics, are great for pulling off the shelf both when you want to read in your head and when your audience includes a young group of eager listeners. There are a few I still appreciate, and will continue to appreciate, even if they are considered for little kids. 

   The first classic I want to mention is The Cricket in Times Square.




   I love this book. It's so fun and engaging (hey, that's probably why it got a Newbery Honor!), and I do not find it boring. This opinion certainly can differ from person to person, and I agree some people would find it boring, but I myself really like this book! So happy to have it on my bookshelf.

   It follows the adventures of Tucker Mouse, Harry Cat, and Chester Cricket --who becomes a famous musician due to his musical talent-- in Times Square.

Sensitive content: a bit of smoking in one scene

Age recommendation: 8+

My rating: 4 star


Note: I hope to do more parts of this "classics" post. Please tell me below in the comments if you think that sounds interesting enough. I don't want to be posting things that are dull!

Oh, and I got a new "signature." 

8 comments:

  1. OOOH fun.
    I have a collection of Newbery honor books.
    Maybe I should read THAT one.
    Thanks, good ol' Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I love to recommend a good book.

      Delete
  2. I love your new signature! It's so pretty. And I agree that children's books are the best. :)
    -Faith Gilliosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faith! Yes, a lot of children's books are so fun!

      Delete
  3. Great review! <3
    Your new signature is beautiful! And I'd love to see some more book-ish posts! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I guess I'll schedule some more book reviews, then.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this book. *checks if library has it* Yep, the library has it. I hope you'll do more book reviews, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Lilly! I've already got one lined up!

      Feel free to tell me what you thought of the book if you read it. *smile*

      Delete

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.