Monday, August 24, 2020

As the Deer

    Just today I noticed something I hadn't thought of as much. I was reading the Bible and came across Psalm 42:1, which says, As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, O God. That verse struck me in a way I don't think I noticed before.

   I think deer are fascinating. Picture it. Majestic bucks, with their great antlers. The gentle doe, whose sole purpose is to care for her young with all the diligence she possesses. And young fawns, so shy and vulnerable. Wobbly legs and white spots. Hiding in the grass and waiting for its mother to return for it. Ah, but I digress. 

   We all know animals need water. Water is necessary. It's essential for life. Without it, we would die; cease to be ourselves. The mental image of a deer panting for the life-giving liquid reflects our need for the Savior . . . my soul pants for You, O God. Just as the deer needs water to live, so do we need God. Were it not for Him, we could not live. He is the one Who sustains us, keeps us whole.

There's a song, As the Deer, which goes:

As the deer panteth for the water,

So my soul longeth after Thee;

You alone are my heart's desire

And I long to worship Thee.

-----------------

Chorus:

You alone are my strength, my shield,

To You alone may my spirit yield.

You alone are my heart's desire,

And I long to worship Thee.

------------------

You're my friend

And You are my brother

Even though You are my King;

I love You more than any other,

So much more than anything.


I want You more than gold or silver,

Only You can satisfy.

You alone are the real joy giver

And the apple of my eye.

Honestly, this song is probably one of my favorite hymns. Only You can satisfy . . .

Only God can satisfy our need. He is the One who said that: "Everyone who drinks of this [normal] water will thirst again; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life" (John 4:13-14).

I'm sure we all know how it feels to be really thirsty. The great longing to feel cool, refreshing water slide down our throat. When we do drink water and quench our thirst, we are satisfied. But it is only temporary. We will get thirsty again and will need to drink water again . . . and again . . . and again. But those who drink of Jesus's offered spiritual water will never thirst again, for it is eternally satisfying. He is the only One who can offer this kind of life-giving water that makes a person's life eternal, should the person accept it.

". . . but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."

Signed,

Martha

5 comments:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful, fantastic written piece, Martha! I am so proud of you and I am really blessed by your encouraging words in this post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song so much!!!
    This is so beautiful.
    -Faith Gilliosa

    ReplyDelete

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.