Monday, August 17, 2020

Favorite Authors & Books #3

   Books are wonderful. And there's so many of them that it's kind of hard to choose just one favorite. So . . . I don't choose just one. I have multiple, and that means I have more recommendations to make!

   This time, instead of recommending a book or book series, I'm going to do multiple books, all by the same author, Elizabeth George Speare. 

   These books are amazing!

-The Bronze Bow 


I think you'd count it as historical fiction; it's set during the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. Which also means it's set during the time of the Roman domination. It's a really good book, and it's certainly Christian.

Sensitive content: some violence, a bit of mild romance, some intense scenes

Age recommendation: 12 or 13+

My rating: 3.5 rating



-The Sign of the Beaver

 Sign of the Beaver (The) Novel – The Center for Home Education

   This is about a young boy who has to stay at a cabin in the woods alone to keep it for his family, who haven't arrived yet. It's a great kids' book.

Sensitive content: not much (that I can recall)

Age recommendation: 9+

My rating: 4 stars


-The Witch of Blackbird Pond
 
The Witch of Blackbird Pond: Speare, Elizabeth George: 9780547550299:  Amazon.com: Books
(This is the newer cover.)

   I like this book so much! Now, in case you haven't read it and are having qualms in regard to its title, let me put your fears to rest. It's historical fiction and is set during the time period of the Puritans, back when people were pretty superstitious. While some people in the story are accused of doing it, there is no actual witchcraft in this book; it is only mentioned. (If there was, I wouldn't read it.) 

Sensitive content: mentions witchcraft (though none is used or seen), pretty mild romance

Age recommendation: 12 or 13+

My rating: 4.5 stars



I would have to say these rank among some of my top favorite books. They're really good.

Signed,
Martha

3 comments:

  1. In what way is it better for older kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean The Witch of Blackbird Pond? It's just a more serious book, that's all. I would personally recommend it for a bit older of an audience.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.