Saturday, June 19, 2021

Book Review: Holes

       This book is a classic. It's definitely out of the ordinary, but it's not so weird that I don't enjoy it. 


Featured Book: "Holes" by Louis Sachar - Parkland Players - Coquitlam Child  Care Center - Group Daycare, Infant Toddler, Reggio Emilia Approach, Before  After School Care


Sensitive content: a cuss word or two

Age recommendation: 11+ (if you attend to the bad words)

My rating: 4 star


   Okay, before I go any further, I need to note something. There are two phrases in it that are questionable. Firstly, a character uses the exclamatory version of the word h*ll one time. Secondly, the Lord's name is taken in vain once (or maybe twice). I do not condone this strong of language in the books I read, so I cross them out. Yes, I know some people may be horrified at me for taking a pen to a book, but I just blot out those two phrases, and the rest of the book is fine, language-wise. So let me just state up front that ignoring the cussing I cross out, I give the book 4 stars. 


   There is also a bit of slightly crude humor and a character briefly smokes. And there are mentions of racial injustice. But it is not vivid, and is merely historical. The book does not promote it in any way. Plus, the racial persecution is a key part of the plot.

   It's a really interesting story, though. I will admit it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I personally enjoy it. It's got unique characters and a creative plot. I love the tie-ins between the several storylines in the book. There is one main story, with two other storylines. I really like how well they are woven together.

   The main storyline follows wrongfully-convicted Stanley Yelnats, whose family is supposedly under a curse that was brought about by a scandal involving Stanley's no-good-dirty-rooten-pig-stealing great-great-grandfather, whose life is another timeline. The third timeline follows the adventures of outlaw Kissin' Kate Barlow, whose tragic backstory ends up affecting everyone in the camp Stanley is sent to–Camp Green Lake. 

   First off, Kate Barlow and Sam are very sympathetic characters. Secondly, I can't help but laugh at poor Stanley, who is sent to that ridiculous camp after supposedly stealing a pair of shoes. He always is at the wrong place at the wrong time. But though he's unlucky, he ends up making friends and unwinding the secret of why the camp Warden is really making them dig holes all day, every day in the hot sun on a dried-up lake in Texas.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Martha! I never heard of this one before!

    ReplyDelete

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.