Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Book Review: Annabeth's War/Favorite Authors & Books #9

    No matter how many times I read it (and I think I've read it at least three times), this one seems to never get old. Not sure why. Maybe it's because of the ending . . . ? Or perhaps just because it's one of my favorite genres of books? At any rate, I find it a very interesting read.

Image result for annabeth's war


Sensitive content: one "idiot," use of the word "stupid," some romance (but nothing vivid or immoral), some intense scenes, swordplay, mentions of/scenes with torture methods

Age recommendation: 12 or 13+

My rating: 4.5 stars


   Let me clarify something here. As to the romance, it may be more than some readers prefer. However, there is nothing I personally find that makes me uncomfortable. There is some "hugging" if you can call it that, but a lot of the time, it's because the girl is injured *spoilers!* and leans against the guy for support. And there is a few kisses, but they are only on the forehead and maybe the cheek. I just wanted to specify that for anyone who might have qualms about how "much" the romance is. 

   I personally really like this one. It is perhaps more intense than a lot of the books I read, but I don't mind much, as those more intense scenes are crucial to the plot and are not vivid. There is some content dealing with the medieval torture rack, and for that, I would caution that this book probably wouldn't be best for sensitive readers. Other than that, it's a great read! And it has some fairly strong Christian themes in it.

   I love the medieval setting. It's similar to Robin Hood (though I must say I like this story better), with swordplay, daring chases and escapes, the heroine wielding the sword, and, of course, the evil king being brought to justice. I really enjoy a well-done kingdom adventure book, so this one suited me well. It's definitely a re-read.

   Also, may I just take a moment to express my delight at the gorgeous cover?




4 comments:

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.