Sunday, November 22, 2020

In Prayer

    I noticed something very interesting some time time ago when doing my Bible reading, and I thought I might share it with you all. 

   Psalm 109:1-5 says:

God of my praise, do not be silent! For they [the enemies] have opened a wicked and deceitful mouth against me; they have spoken against me with a lying tongue. They have also surrounded me with words of hatred, and have fought against me without cause. In return for my love, they act as my accusers; but I am in prayer. So they have repaid me evil for good, and hatred for my love.

   Did you catch that? All five of these verses are filled with descriptions of how he [the speaker] has been hated, fought against, lied about, and accused. Yet in the midst of all that oppression and mocking, five little words describe what he is doing. See it? Psalm 109:4b: . . . but I am in prayer.

   What? He's being persecuted on all sides, and what does he do? He prays. He cries out to God about it. He asks for help, and as you will see if you go to that psalm and keep reading, he pleads with God to bring the evildoers to justice. 

   This is a good reminder for me. (I'm trying to work on this myself.) We humans like to talk, do we not? We tell others of our trouble; we ask others for aid. . . but how often do we turn to the One Who is ultimately capable of saving and helping? 

   Think about it.




2 comments:

If your comment doesn't show up immediately, don't worry. It'll be up as soon as I approve it.